Sunday, November 24, 2013

We ain't gonna die today homie!

Sometimes I get in the mood to write privately in a notebook with a pencil.  It's one of the only times I feel like I'm truly myself and in my element.  There is nothing I love more than a blank page and a no. 2 pencil.  It's raw and unfiltered and I can laugh and cry at what comes out of my head.  It's not always good but it's mine and it's true.  I ramble. I rant.  Sometimes I even rhyme.  I swear, when I'm in that zone I feel like Eminem in 8 Mile, frantically writing my heart out in a notebook, sitting in a busted up trailer in the ghetto or on break from my job at the factory.  Queue the base line and drums:  "Look, if you had one shot, one opportunity to seize everything you ever wanted in one moment, would you capture it?  Or just let it slip?"  (What a great song!)

I think in another life I could have been a rapper.  I'm so inspired by the emotion and beats.  The struggle and the pain.  There is pain in pushing yourself forward to overcome.  That desperate urge for a change, even the curse words.  To me, it's all so beautiful.  It's a secret wish of mine to go to an open mic night somewhere far from home, get up on stage with sweat beading on my forehead and pretend I'm Queen Latifah circa 1993 and "let em know" who I am.  But who am I kidding?  I'm no rapper.  I'm just a mom writing this post in a comfy bed, wearing fluffy aloe vera infused socks while my daughter sits to my right, cutting duct tape for crafts as "The Suite Life on Deck" plays on her internet ready TV.   Now that's straight up gansta.  :) Granted, I do have my headphones on and I'm blasting "U.N.I.T.Y." by Latifah, back when she was the Queen and not the America's New Favorite Daytime TV Host.  She was Dana and she wasn't having it.  I loved her for that.   

I'm obviously inspired by music.  It's part of my life.  I need it, beause it feeds my soul.  If music wasn't on somewhere in the background, I think I'd cry. Seriously.  For others it's quotes or passionate stories from people who have been through the same struggles.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, inspiration can come from anywhere.  It doesn't really matter where you find it, as long as you are constantly looking.  Heck, my play list just went from Latifah to Michael Buble to Nappy Roots for goodness sake.   

I think my new purpose is to find ways to get people to be inspired.  Take a leap of faith and just let things go.  Whatever you are going through is NOT the end of the world.  It's not gonna kill us.  "We ain't gonna die today."  And even if we do, we died trying.  Let me help you light a fire under you ass and do something different with your life even if it's just a something little.  We have to start somewhere.  I can't keep doing this alone, my friends.  I'm selfish.  I want to be inspired by other being inspired.  So let's, you and I, take a look around and see what inspires us to be a better people.  Start by doing it for others because then it can become for ourselves. 





"We're gonna have a good day, and all my homies gonna ride today and all these mommies look fly today and all we wanna do is get by today.  Hey. We gonna have a good day and ain't nobody gotta cry today cause ain't nobody gonna die today just save that drama for another day, hey!" 

:)

No comments: